Thursday, November 5, 2015

10. I Accept the Theory

No doubt that’s too much metaphysics for a single tenor; but the loss of his voice explains everything, and there are philosophers who, when it comes down to it, are no better than unemployed tenors.

I, dear reader, accept old Marcolini’s theory, not only for how true it appears to be -- and the appearance of truth is often as far as truth goes -- but because my life matches up with its implications so well. I sang a very tender duo, then a trio, then a quartet... But let’s not get ahead of ourselves; let’s go back to the first part, where I came to learn that I was already singing, because José Dias’ disclosure, my dear reader, was principally directed to me. He disclosed me to myself.


Chapter 10 in the original Portuguese.

No comments:

Post a Comment